So here's the idea...

So here's the idea...

This blog is the beginning of an experiment. I've been working idly on the fantasy world of Maeleff for a few months, typing on my phone during subway rides, and I think I may have the beginnings of something here. However, I'm lazy and bad at following through with things, so I'd like help.

Specifically, I'd like to turn this idea into an open world fictional universe. My friends and creative folk will be invited to peruse the information I have on the world, and to play with it. Write characters. Write stories. Add races, city-states, monsters and ancient ruins. I'd like to write stories, role play, and generally allow my friends to help me explore and create a rich, if someone forbidding, fantasy world.

Monday, January 28, 2013

More on the death of the gods

The virus (for lack if a better term) that destroyed the gods was not of this world.  It was found in the outer reaches of the universe  by one forgotten god, modified and unleashed.

The virus was inimical to the stuff that the gods were made of. Not matter per se, as the gods were never truly material in the way we think of it, but they did have a real substance to them. Not anymore, they were utterly unmade.

The virus' effect on other things is less predictable.  Magic is similar to the power of the gods, but not identical.  Thus magic carries the virus, but is not destroyed by it.  In fact, the virus itself being made up of an incredibly powerful and strange energy, magic was in many ways made stronger, if far more dangerous.

As for mortal flesh, life on this world was altered drastically by the gods, and infused with a portion of their power and essence. Thus, the virus is almost always  inimical to it. But unlike the gods, who were helpless before it, mortals are made of different stuff that gives them strengths and options that the gods did not have.  Thus usually they are unmade, but sometimes they are only changed.

Work on making Blood-touched mutations and changes more Lovecraftian in tone than straight up undeath, at least in its greater forms.

I keep thinking I should come up with names for this stuff - the blood, the virus, the dead gods, etc.   But I kind of like having the stuff unnamed.  The names of the gods have been deliberately forgotten.  Nobody understands the virus or even know it exists really, so it just the blood as far as they know.

No comments:

Post a Comment