So here's the idea...

So here's the idea...

This blog is the beginning of an experiment. I've been working idly on the fantasy world of Maeleff for a few months, typing on my phone during subway rides, and I think I may have the beginnings of something here. However, I'm lazy and bad at following through with things, so I'd like help.

Specifically, I'd like to turn this idea into an open world fictional universe. My friends and creative folk will be invited to peruse the information I have on the world, and to play with it. Write characters. Write stories. Add races, city-states, monsters and ancient ruins. I'd like to write stories, role play, and generally allow my friends to help me explore and create a rich, if someone forbidding, fantasy world.

Friday, January 4, 2013

The Office of Causal Oversight

Ammadhur's legal system, like every other aspect of its governance, is an immensely complicated tangle of rights, duties, obligations and spheres of influence. The guild of barristers is quite powerful as a result.

The city being a central port and hub of mercantile activity, the role of the customs office is extremely important, and they are universally given a surprising amount of leeway in the legal system. Some time ago, a smart Tyrant took advantage of this by creating a small cadre of the customs police whose job was ostensibly to investigate corruption at the highest levels, and who were answerable to nobody but the Tyrant himself. He then manipulated changes in several bodies of law to make sure that certain holes were left unfilled, and which resulted in the group having no charter to speak of, and few if any legal limits on their powers.

That group has the innocuous title of The Office of Causal Oversight, but are referred to by most as "The Nails", for reasons lost to history. In effect, they act as the Tyrant's own hounds and secret police. They recruit their numbers from many sources, not the least being Ammadhur's prisons, where any number of pirates and smugglers have found themselves shanghaied with the simple choice of service or death.

It is rumored that the Nails have dealings with the Blooded, possibly even with Blessed, and may harbor some within their numbers. They are suspected especially of having several Skinwalkers in their ranks.

No comments:

Post a Comment